Monday, June 24, 2024

Farewell my good friend

Thursday we had a vet appointment with our struggling fur baby.  She had been in previously with a toe on her left foot which was larger than the rest.  At the time we elected surgery to remove the toe and pathology confirmed it was indeed cancer. This Thursday's visit was for an enlarged to on the opposite back foot.  We suspected a return of the cancer on her foot was making walking difficult for her.  When visiting the vet he examined her then continued to tell us her toe was not his primary concern.  The muscles in her back hips were basically gone.  This was making it difficult for her to walk around.  The toe was just adding to the diffuculty for her.  In her current state the future looked grim for her.  We were presented with very few options with the best option being the one nobody wants for their beloved animal.

It's been quite an adjustment around home with her no longer present.  I know she was loved as she always followed Leah and she sat by me when Leah wasn't around which meant every work day in the last 4 years.  We welcomed her into our home roughly 10 years ago as a Paws with a cause Breeding dog which was when I was just coming out of my first cancer journey.  So in a very real sense up until Thursday she has been my emotional support dog.

While it's difficult, I know I have the support of a lot of people and I wouldn't give that up for anything.  Today was treatment number 16 out of 28 which means I have 12 treatments left.  My schedule going forward looks a little interesting.  This week I have today thru Friday with a couple days at an earlier time.  I will have Satruday off and then start treatments again on Sunday and continue through Wednesday.  At that point We will all with be celebrating the 4th of July and so I will have a 4 day weekend including Thrusday and Friday.  The following week I will have 4 treatments left and should Graduate on July 11th from the radiation/chemo program.

Prayers for calm mind and calm stomach would be appreciated.

~Kent

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your fur baby. I will be praying for you as you grieve the loss of this wonderful member of your family. We will continue to pray for you as you finish up this part of your cancer journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. May the memories hold you. πŸ™πŸ™πŸ‘†πŸ’ͺas you walk these next couple of weeks. Dear Father…protect Kent from all side effects. Work miracles in the treatments as they fight cancer. Bless this family over the July holiday with opportunities for light-heartedness, smiles, good food and ‘free’ time to celebrate. πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸŽ΅πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ In your powerful name we pray πŸ™πŸ™πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss. Pets become our family, and it's so hard to lose them! Praying for you all as you grieve. I'm also praying for side effects to be few and the treatments to be effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. It’s heartbreaking. We had to make that choice a few months ago too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried when I read the title of this blog. I was not attached to Miranda but your mom was right - she was a good dog, well-mannered, very gentle and a good “mama dog.” When her puppies were born she took good care of them and wasn’t “overly protective” when people came to see her puppies. She was a good companion for Kent. I loved how she would lay at Kent’s feet while he was working in his office.
    I know it will be a huge relief to be done with this grueling schedule. People don’t realize that the “schedule” is more than just the time it takes to drive to radiation, but also the instructions on when to eat (or not eat), how closely you have to follow a regimen of oral chemo, anti-nausea meds, food and radiation. Between you and Leah - you figure it all out and live by the clock and the calendar. Also - so many prayer warriors for which I am SO thankful.❤️πŸ™

    ReplyDelete

Add Comment