Friday, April 12, 2024

"Hungry Catterpillar"

Yesterday surgery was scheduled for 9:30 am.  It was about 12:20 p.m. when I said goodbye to Leah and I wheeled into the OR.  I remember about 10 minutes in the OR, in regards to getting on the table, putting my arms down and then about a minute or so later the fog hit me.  The next thing I remembered is meeting my family in my room where I was staying the night. This was about 6:30 p.m.  In the OR I was gifted with a few things including a new IV in my right wrist and and NG tube in my left nostril.

My first question to my family members was "did they do the whipple procedure?"  It was at that point I  discovered that 3 surgeons were unable to remove the cancer.  The explanation I was told is that it would put me in more danger and I could have possibly not make it back out of surgery.  I did have the hernia repair done at the close of surgery using the "Hungry Caterpillar" stiching as Leah calls it.  

It is now April 12 and alomst 24 hours after the close of surgery.  I have had the chance to chat with my Oncology surgeon and she told me what she told my family yesterday.  They worked with the upper portion of the intestine and the colon, but only for repair purposes.  Bascially moving forward with the procedure would have cut off my blood supply to the portion  that is left of my liver, therefore causing liver failure.

Where we go from here?  I'll be honest in saying we really don't know what is in the near future.  We have thrown out several options for future treatment and we'll just have to sort them out and decide at a later date. The surgeon who fixed my hernia said he wants no less than 6 weeks of recovery before another  treatment begins.

~Kent

4 comments:

  1. Well, not the outcome we were hoping and praying for, but, God has a plan and I/we have faith in your oncology/surgical team. I continue to be amazed at how hard you work to recover from surgeries and chemo. Your “bedside cheerleaders” spur you on and you have a lot to work for - staying here with them. You are SO needed. We continue to pray for “family team of 3!”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear this news. It definitely is not what we wanted to hear as the outcome of your surgery. We will continue to pray for you as you continue fighting this cancer. You have an amazing wife and daughter (and extended family) who love you, and for this, we give praise to God. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry to hear this news. You have been in my prayers continually and will remain. I have been thinking about this surgery and how it went, and now we all know how to continue to pray. God has a plan and it’s always perfect! Praying that His plan is to remove this cancer from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not what I had hoped and prayed for. However you have seen miracles happen in your extended family this year! We have a God of miracles and I am praying for one for you! Bless you all! Aunt Carole

    ReplyDelete

Add Comment